AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.

#1 2018-07-12 18:23:13

shaneb99
I Love A.C.E.

Not all broodies are equal

I put some Partridge Brahma eggs in the incubator 3 weeks ago even though I was getting tired of all the hassle of hatching and brooding chicks. But I wanted some of these so reluctantly went ahead. As luck would have it 2 Brahma Cross hens went broody about the same time, a white one and a Black one. I waited a few days to make sure they were committed and on day 5 of incubation I moved both hens to their own pens and transferred the eggs to the hens giving each 16.  I candled and all were developing. That would save me the hassle of looking after the chicks.

Yesterday on schedule they hatched but there was quite outcomes from the 2 hens. Both hens were dedicated to sitting on the nest but the white hen was more careless.a couple of times she let eggs roll out and I ended up putting her in a big pile of straw to keep the eggs under her. The black hen pretty much just settled down.  I checked the eggs about once a week and over the course of 3 weeks the white hen managed to break 2 eggs. Yesterday when they started hatching the white hen moved over leaving some of the eggs exposed even though they were hatching. She had also managed to crush 3 eggs even though 2 had live chicks that were pipping. I pulled the shells off and put them back under her but when I checked later both had died. Over night she moved and was sitting on a tray I had her food dish on and had 6 chicks under her. 2 more chicks were dead in the original nest and the remaning 3 eggs were cold.

The black hen meanwhile had stayed on her nest faithfully all day yesterday and this morning had moved over taking 12 healthy chicks with her.  Of the remaning 3 eggs looked like the chicks had stopped developing 4 or 5 days before and 1 egg is unaccounted for.

Both are experienced hens and hatched chicks last year. This is the second hatch this year for both. They each hatched out batches the first week of May. The Black hatched 9/12 that time and the White one hatched 12/13. So maybe she just wasn't into this time.

Last edited by shaneb99 (2018-07-12 18:39:30)

Blue Buff and Silver Laced Brahmas plus too much other stuff to list.

#2 2018-07-13 02:06:13

susanr

Re: Not all broodies are equal

Sad to hear the white hen wasn't quite up to the task this time around.  The black one though sounds like she was anxious to be a mom this time.

Friend to 1 house cat, 2 long-haired mini dachshunds, several outside cats, one guard dog, a few Dorking chickens, several  Isa Brown laying hens, some mutt chickens and 3 mules.  Jobs include gardener and assistant bee keeper.

#3 2018-07-13 13:20:17

niglefritz

I just took a large jg broody off a nest of rotten eggs. She did the same...letting the eggs roll out. I still hoped for some hatching. She looked serious and in the end, it really upset when she found out all her eggs had disappeared, but I had to take them already. I didn't check them all extensively since they all smelled so bad, but know at least 3 had been developing. They must have spent the most time under her.

This was her first attempt. I am very disappointed as they were nice dark eggs.

I am looking forward to having silkies do the job next year. Somehow they are just better at hatching.

FOCUS: blue JG, copper marans
WTB: sp. sussex; true ameraucana pair; Cayuga or West Indies ducks
My Daughter's Shop: feathers & more create beautiful accessories: www.etsy.com/shop/DreamOfMustangsMB ;horse;

#4 2018-07-13 14:10:24

uno
I Love A.C.E.
Website

I had one hen who killed her chicks as they hatched. I chopped her head off. Later when my own daughter was a terrible teen I thought about that hen. Brought to mind that comedian who says when you first have a baby and hear that some animals eat their own young you are horrified and wonder, how could they and later on, when they are teens, you're sorry you didn't.

You have to wonder how much deductive reasoning a chicken is capable of and  I swear Shane, some breeds are stupider than others. Sorry it went so wrong.

#5 2018-07-13 23:50:50

shaneb99
I Love A.C.E.

I have another one now that I thought I'd try, she's a young first timer and she's really flighty. Twice now when I've gone to check her she's bailed off the nest in a big panic and broke an egg. I'm going to have to stay clear of her.

Blue Buff and Silver Laced Brahmas plus too much other stuff to list.

#6 2018-07-14 10:12:24

Martin Grove Farm
Administrator

My preferred method was always broodies.  Some are much better than others though. We had one turkey hen that would search out eggs to roll into her nest.

"I never learned from a man who agreed with me".~~Robert A. Heinlein.
“Whatever you do in life, surround yourself with smart people who'll argue with you.” - John Wooden
May every word that we speak, and every word that we type, be words that lift up and never words that tear down

#7 2018-07-14 17:07:47

niglefritz

uno wrote:

I had one hen who killed her chicks as they hatched. I chopped her head off. Later when my own daughter was a terrible teen I thought about that hen. Brought to mind that comedian who says when you first have a baby and hear that some animals eat their own young you are horrified and wonder, how could they and later on, when they are teens, you're sorry you didn't.

I am there. :veryfunny:

FOCUS: blue JG, copper marans
WTB: sp. sussex; true ameraucana pair; Cayuga or West Indies ducks
My Daughter's Shop: feathers & more create beautiful accessories: www.etsy.com/shop/DreamOfMustangsMB ;horse;

#8 2018-07-14 17:48:13

killerbunny
I Love A.C.E.

My turkey girls have a strange set up. They generally sit 2 or 3 to nest. The younger girls learn form the senior hens. The broods are merged within a week. Currently 2 of my successful girls have dumped the kids at 6 weeks on 2 of their co broodies and gone down for the count again. I think it's due to their social structure which is so different to a chickens.

Mixed collection of chickens, trio of Blue Columbian Wyandottes,BSW turkeys.
RIP Stephen, my BSW Tom and coffee companion. He left a great genetic legacy.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.

Board footer