AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.

#1 2018-07-12 18:51:32

uno
I Love A.C.E.
Website

No meatbirds for me!

Made a real push this year to get our meatbird pen rebuilt after repeated bear intrusions last year. We're as ready as we can be to have meatbirds again after several years of NOT having them, thanks to bears. I phone the hatchery as I usually do, expecting to pick up my chicks the next week, as has always been the case. The hatchery guy says there will be no chicks available until Aug 21.  WHAT?!:shock:  This wrecks everything! There is a plan. Get birds early July, butcher mid September. That is the routine. But no.

Hatchery man explains that the local meat growers have all had increase in quota and the hatchery cannot keep up to demand. As it is they ship chicks up from the coast. He said they are in the process of building a new hatchery that they hope to have up and running by December, which will take their hatch capacity from 60,000 to 300,000. But as it is the big growers get first dibs on the birds and even my request for a paltry 10 was put off to August 21 at the earliest and it was sketchy even then.

Well. This sucks.

Not interested in growing birds into November to butcher. Might try again early spring. Who knows. But looks like that newly minted Fort Knox that we call a chicken pen is going to be empty for the season. Sigh. Excited about a new hatchery though!

#2 2018-07-12 20:01:11

AuntieEvil
Website

Re: No meatbirds for me!

Keeping bears out would be difficult. Do you use electric fencing?
Bummer about the wait for birds.

∞♥
∞☮
∞✈

#3 2018-07-12 23:30:54

shaneb99
I Love A.C.E.

Uno - phone Rochester 1-888-698-3965
They ship to BC and their agent in Salmon Arm is Buckerfields if you'd prefer to go through them. We bought 30 Broilers from them in May and they are excellent. I ordered another 25 in June.
They hatch every day.

Blue Buff and Silver Laced Brahmas plus too much other stuff to list.

#4 2018-07-13 02:09:20

susanr

Well Dang, uno - that is disappointing.  Perhaps Rochester may be the hatchery to try this year?  Glad to hear you are giving meat birds a go again.  :thumbsup:

Friend to 1 house cat, 2 long-haired mini dachshunds, several outside cats, one guard dog, a few Dorking chickens, several  Isa Brown laying hens, some mutt chickens and 3 mules.  Jobs include gardener and assistant bee keeper.

#5 2018-07-13 03:08:40

Schipperkesue
Administrator

Yep, Rochester makes great meaties!

Embrace your mistakes....they are life's most meaningful education.

#6 2018-07-13 14:04:46

uno
I Love A.C.E.
Website

Have had Rochester in the past and have to say that shipping chicks stresses them. Buying them 20 minutes down the road I have never lost a chick. Plus I like the strain the hatchery uses. I think they are a cobb and the eggs come from Arkansas. Thanks for the suggestions, it has been a long time since I looked at a hatchery catalogue! Too tempting!

#7 2018-07-13 16:11:36

Rosewood Farm
I Love A.C.E.

Tru North is close to where you live and supply an alternative meat chicken (Mistral Gris).  They take a bit longer to grow to processing size.  Miller and Rochester have agents in your area.  They ship through Canada Post and usually arrive in good shape.  We no longer raise the Cornish Giants die to poor legs, heart attacks and other health issues.  We have raised Miller's Western Rustics the last couple years with good results.  They tend to have less breast meat and more leg meat than CGs.

Rosewood Farm,
Breeder Berkshire Pigs.
Black and Blue Cochins, Blue Laced Red Wyandottes.
Beltsville Turkeys.

#8 2018-07-13 23:37:50

shaneb99
I Love A.C.E.

We have 32 Cornish Cross Broilers from Rochester and they are great. We processed 16 this morning and they are resting right now. They are exactly 10 weeks today and are really nice size. We'll weigh them when we bag them but it looks like they are a nice roasting size.

#9 2018-07-16 02:48:08

RavenHeart

I raised some that i hatched so i saved that cost but at the cost of feed, slaughter i won't do it again , the saving is minimal at best , costs have just gotten to high

But for on Ravens wings i take flight ever higher into this my night

#10 2018-07-16 09:30:31

jocelyn
A.C.E. Addicted

We did that one year too, keep a meat bird hen and lock her up with a Quechua male.  We saved the 1.30 a chick, but put an extra dollar into each chick for feed.
Since we hatched 31 chicks, we didn't quite make the hen's feed cost on the chick savings.  We did, however, eat the rest of her eggs.
The meat birds we killed were longer in the body, and had more leg meat and less breast meat.  In this house, that was a good thing, Hubby likes legs.
The livability was good too, and vigor.:coffeebusy:

#11 2018-07-16 17:17:14

shaneb99
I Love A.C.E.

Uno here's some inspiration for you. We processed 16 Cornish Cross from Rochester. They were exactly 10 weeks old to the day. We didn't lose any. The total combined weight cleaned, dressed and bagged was 136.5 lbs. That's an average of 8.5 lbs each. The largest was 11 lbs, the smallest 7 lb 1 oz.
https://image.ibb.co/bFvNPJ/IMG_0641.jpg

Board footer