AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.

#1 2018-08-22 18:42:44

QuixotiCCritters

hen that only makes boy babies

Current threads had me recalling last summer. The smoke, ash, fires, headaches, being evacuated, returning home... After being permitted to come home I found that a chicken was out and had 8 new chicks in toe. I don't know how she got out of the garden/chicken area or if she had gotten missed in the round up. We were gone 4 weeks and 2 days and her chicks looked like they were only 1 to 3 days old. Those 8 chicks all grew up to be roosters. So I did some quick research (very quick) and found a site online that was explaining some research that had found that in 10% of eggs, if conditions are right (those conditions were a drop in incubation temperature but I don't  know for how long, how much of a drop or at what point in development) a male embryo will change its sex. The resulting chick will grow into a fully functional hen (she is fertile and lays eggs) though she lacks a W chromosome. But when paired to a normal  ZZ rooster all chicks are male as she has no W chromosome to contribute. It was very neat stuff, deserving of further rwading one of thsee days. Some reptilian phenomenon that still exists in the bird desendents.
I have yet to test this hypothesis by letting her hatch more eggs but for now I am calling her my double z hen. The he-she.

#2 2018-08-22 21:35:58

lornem
Growing Member

Re: hen that only makes boy babies

Very interesting. Could explain why most backyard breeders that incubate their own eggs usually get more than 50% male chicks.
Would you please provide the link so I can read the full study. Great food for thought.

Better to be dumb as a stump and learn as you go,...than to be a know it all and get stumped:

Live and learn while thinking outside the box.

#3 2018-08-22 21:37:36

susanr

Sounds like a very interesting read!  An interesting phenomenon indeed.

Friend to 1 house cat, 2 long-haired mini dachshunds, several outside cats, one guard dog, a few Dorking chickens, several  Isa Brown laying hens, some mutt chickens and 3 mules.  Jobs include gardener and assistant bee keeper.

#4 2018-08-23 15:36:43

QuixotiCCritters

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou … MlFQ-C7g49
here is something on it. I will have to look more for the link I saw last year when I get a minute

#5 2018-08-23 21:07:23

susanr

Thank you for the link.  :thumbsup:  Interesting read - now they have to figure out how much of a drop in temp and for how long.

Friend to 1 house cat, 2 long-haired mini dachshunds, several outside cats, one guard dog, a few Dorking chickens, several  Isa Brown laying hens, some mutt chickens and 3 mules.  Jobs include gardener and assistant bee keeper.

#6 2018-08-23 23:23:15

QuixotiCCritters

It's been patented so I imagine the exact temperature drop for exactly what 3 days of incubation are know but they wouldn't make it public knowledge

#7 2018-08-24 06:41:55

uno
I Love A.C.E.
Website

Interesting.

#8 2018-08-24 13:25:01

niglefritz

So now it sounds like someone here needs to do an unofficial experiment to figure it out.

FOCUS: blue JG, copper marans
WTB: sp. sussex; true ameraucana pair; Cayuga or West Indies ducks
My Daughter's Shop: feathers & more create beautiful accessories: www.etsy.com/shop/DreamOfMustangsMB ;horse;

#9 2018-08-26 17:54:25

Shnookie
A.C.E. Addicted

I wonder if that explains why I have an Ameraucana hen that lays regularly, but she "breeds" the other hens in her group.

"A Guide to Better Hatching" says when the egg temperature drops below 75 degrees, cell division ceases.  It also says that the formation of the chick's reproductive organs and differentiation of sex happen on the fifth day of incubation.

I have read that female embryos are more sensitive to temperature fluctuations than male embryos so they can die easier, either before or during incubation.

Does this help anyone figure out what temperature causes it?

Starting with Blue, Black, and Splash Ameraucanas and Red Cuckoo Basque (Marraduna).

#10 2018-08-26 21:52:54

QuixotiCCritters

So it would make sence that the 3 days of temperature drop would be around that fifth day. Probably 3, 4 and 5 or 4, 5 and 6. So how would a person determine the temperature of an embryo in an egg that sit beside a hen instead of under her like I have often seen. Perhaps that would be the temperature needed?

#11 2018-08-26 22:12:57

QuixotiCCritters

https://www.fresheggsdaily.com/2016/04/ … sters.html
I found this interesting as well, i thint i will try it next year. For hatching more hens store your eggs at 40f. You will get a lower hatch rate but the eggs that don't make it would likely have been males. However if any males that do hatch are kept and bred from, you could end up breeding for cold hardy roosters and that trick would cease to work.

#12 2018-08-27 14:27:56

niglefritz

Very interesting.

FOCUS: blue JG, copper marans
WTB: sp. sussex; true ameraucana pair; Cayuga or West Indies ducks
My Daughter's Shop: feathers & more create beautiful accessories: www.etsy.com/shop/DreamOfMustangsMB ;horse;

Board footer