AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.

#1 2018-08-25 19:09:48

RavenHeart

Squash ?

I have these Giant squash that i am not sure what they are , crossed with a pumpkin ? I had saved seeds from a Georgia Candy Roaster Squash which tasted like a sweet potato but the seeds gave back these gigantic two foot or longer by a foot high squash ............i had four in the garage ( heated ) all winter and until spring they stayed good ! My question is soup ..........any one make pumpkin or squash soup ? My nephew suggested BBQ them first with some sweet smoke and them making a soup ? I have over twenty of them and will be giving most away , but this year they are the only hing that is producing in the garden ...............Recipes ? suggestions ?

But for on Ravens wings i take flight ever higher into this my night

#2 2018-08-25 21:47:29

susanr

Re: Squash ?

I have made both of these recipes using other squash - not just zucchini.  I found a soup recipe using water instead of milk as the liquid (I didn't have any stock at the time) so I could can the excess - I made a large stock pot of it.  The fritters are tasty and I did freeze some successfully.  If you get pretty much all the water out of the squash, they freeze pretty well.
https://www.feastingathome.com/quick-he … asil-soup/
https://www.feastingathome.com/dilled-z … -tzatziki/

Friend to 1 house cat, 2 long-haired mini dachshunds, several outside cats, one guard dog, a few Dorking chickens, several  Isa Brown laying hens, some mutt chickens and 3 mules.  Jobs include gardener and assistant bee keeper.

#3 2018-08-26 02:06:30

RavenHeart

Thanks Susan ......will give it a try

#4 2018-08-27 14:25:19

niglefritz

I have a couple of recipes. Think I can find them? :think:

One was 1/2 tomatoes and looked like tomato soup, the other had veggie stock, and was all pumpkin. I will see if I can locate both at some point here and post them for you. Both were good, but I preferred the all pumpkin recipe.

FOCUS: blue JG, copper marans
WTB: sp. sussex; true ameraucana pair; Cayuga or West Indies ducks
My Daughter's Shop: feathers & more create beautiful accessories: www.etsy.com/shop/DreamOfMustangsMB ;horse;

#5 2018-08-30 19:40:17

countrychicken
A.C.E. Addicted

squash soup is a fav around here. I have few 'hard and fast' soups. some variations, usually bake squash/pumps on cookie sheets in oven till cooked

curried w/coconut milk, onions and blenderized
chicken stock, onions, apples blenderizes

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipes/1473 … up/?page=3

#6 2018-08-30 21:59:45

Schipperkesue
Administrator

I love squash soup!  But cook a little and taste it first.  Apparently the crossed squash may be a little bitter...(I'd be angry too if I were bitter!) :P

Embrace your mistakes....they are life's most meaningful education.

#7 2018-10-19 16:28:11

niglefritz

Here is my recipe.

Pumpkin Soup

4 c. Pumpkin puree
3 c. Vegetable broth* (or chicken broth)
Onion powder
Garlic powder
Salt & pepper, to taste

Mix & heat in a large pot. Serve with a touch of yogurt or sour cream if desired.

*Vegetable Broth:
2 large Carrots
2 large stalks Celery
1 Parsnip  (opt.)
2 large mushrooms
1 large onion
2 cloves garlic
Bunch of cilantro/flat leafed parsley
1-2 Tbsp. olive oil

Peel & chop as necessary. Cook in large pot for 5-7 min until veggies soften. Add a large amount of water (6c?). Cook for 1 hr. Once cooled, scoop out veggies & blend** to add to pumpkin soup above. Freeze the remainder of the vegetable broth for later.

**Sometimes I leave the veggies unblended.

The last time I made this, it was very sweet. I am not sure if it was the carrots or perhaps a sweeter squash (my mom just labeled it as squash). It was very interesting anyway.

My Daughter's Shop: feathers & more create beautiful accessories: www.etsy.com/shop/DreamOfMustangsMB ;horse;

#8 2018-10-23 18:42:48

RavenHeart

Thank you , will give it a go

#9 2018-10-24 01:06:34

niglefritz

We really like it. I hope you will too! :letseat:

Board footer