AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.

#1 2018-09-26 13:07:58

AuntieEvil
Website

Freezing Apples

Finally our little goat attacked apple trees have provided a wealth of apples. Now I am wondering what to do with them. I read that they may be processed and frozen without heating for later use in baked goods. Has anyone done this? Does anyone have any other ideas for how to save the apples for future use. We have limited fridge space and no cold room for storage.
Hope every else is enjoying plentiful harvests this year :)

∞♥
∞☮
∞✈

#2 2018-09-26 13:27:22

Martin Grove Farm
Administrator

Re: Freezing Apples

I have no idea.   I think that with the high moisture content, they would turn mushy when thawed.  I do know that a neighbour at our last place, canned them for use in pies.  She processed them and packed them with a sugar (simple) syrup.  She did use them in baking other than pies as well as in some main courses.  She drained them and rinsed them for certain recipes.

"I never learned from a man who agreed with me".~~Robert A. Heinlein.
“Whatever you do in life, surround yourself with smart people who'll argue with you.” - John Wooden
May every word that we speak, and every word that we type, be words that lift up and never words that tear down

#3 2018-09-26 13:45:35

Schipperkesue
Administrator

I slice and dry mine in the dehydrator.

Embrace your mistakes....they are life's most meaningful education.

#4 2018-09-26 14:42:42

AuntieEvil
Website

I was considering canning, but just haven't time to do it right now. Perhaps slightly cooking and then freezing maybe a better option? Or perhaps blanching?
No dehydrator and smoked apple slices doesn't sound too good, especially as there is a load of fish in there right now -lol
Guess I will try them a few different ways and see what happens...

∞♥
∞☮
∞✈

#5 2018-09-26 15:06:39

niglefritz

Oh yes! I put away about 50 medium freezer bags of apples each year. For large apples, I have a suction cup metal perler/corer/slicer that I bought at Home Hardware. As each of my kids gets old enough, they get one too. For my crab apples, I blush them (cut off each side -4- around the core) and put them into bags, peel included.

I put the cut the apples into water that has a bit of lemon juice added, then pack them into the bags. I drain the extra water out of the bags before freezing them.

I don't usually like any peel left on the large apples, as it gets an odd texture. With the crabapples, the peel is usually thin enough that it just adds nice color but no bad texture change.

I did an apple pie filling once. It was okay, but a lot more work than what I usually do.

I put these in anything baked...apple crisp, pies, stuffing, applesauce or whatever.

Last edited by niglefritz (2018-09-26 15:10:21)

FOCUS: blue JG, copper marans
WTB: sp. sussex; true ameraucana pair; Cayuga or West Indies ducks
My Daughter's Shop: feathers & more create beautiful accessories: www.etsy.com/shop/DreamOfMustangsMB ;horse;

#6 2018-09-26 15:07:20

niglefritz

My mom used to can small apples with a butter rum flavoring.  That tasted good.

FOCUS: blue JG, copper marans
WTB: sp. sussex; true ameraucana pair; Cayuga or West Indies ducks
My Daughter's Shop: feathers & more create beautiful accessories: www.etsy.com/shop/DreamOfMustangsMB ;horse;

#7 2018-09-26 16:13:13

yardbirds
Administrator

I just chop them after peeling and freeze them.  Haven't tried them for pies ...but considering bakery shop pies (grocery stores) used to sell frozen pies that you take out of the freezer and bake...shouldn't be a problem if you just freeze them and add them frozen to your pie crust and dust with flour and sugar before adding top crust and bake...or use them for apple sauce cooked later, cookies, muffins, or quick breads...is what I will be doing with mine...I just peeled, cored and quartered or 6thed ...can't remember and had them in the 2nd sink of salt water and lemon juice to prevent browning.  Mine are a tart apple used for baking...can't remember the name...but had loads of apples this year.  Good Luck!

Soldier of Tolerance

[ If you consider yourself a "gift" to all you share your life with....I promise you will always give your best.... ]

#8 2018-09-26 17:42:22

AuntieEvil
Website

Good to know the peel, soak and freeze method works for baked apple goods later. Whew!
Yes, those little apple peelers work amazingly well. An excellent gift!

∞♥
∞☮
∞✈

#9 2018-09-27 05:34:18

uno
I Love A.C.E.
Website

I have a bunch of frozen apples in the freezer right now. Peeled and sliced in chunks. No dipping in anti-browning stuff. They do cook to mush but I'm likely making an apple crisp with them so who cares if they're mush? Doesn't stop me from putting ice cream on top!

Board footer