AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.
  • Index
  •  » Pets
  •  » I feel like I am in (quiet) panic mode

#1 2018-09-29 15:41:08

niglefritz

I feel like I am in (quiet) panic mode

My anxiety is getting the better of me. I panic outwardly sometimes, but this feels like a raging storm inside this morning.

We have a fixed Manx in the basement. He is 13 years old and fairly healthy. Manx are known to live up to 25 years and fancy one person over all others. Two unique facts among many about Manx.

This morning he was found on some exposed ductwork, laying on his side & breathing with difficulty. Supposedly just before, he was found on the floor beside some plastic. I suspect that he breathed in a piece of that somehow.

Anyway, we could not get him off that part without doing great damage to ourselves as he is a very large animal & scared. I started to try, but stopped due to his reaction...you know how a panicked cat can be. Well, he has since moved himself into a place between the ceiling & floor above. Cats go hide when they go to die. We can no longer hear him. I suspect that is what has now happened.

My husband is not home & I can't get ahold of him. I would have rather taken the cat down & seen if there was anything we could have done (he likes my husband the best) rather than have the cat die in the floor alone. I hate knowing something bad is in progress & I am helpless.

:crying:

FOCUS: blue JG, copper marans
WTB: sp. sussex; true ameraucana pair; Cayuga or West Indies ducks
My Daughter's Shop: feathers & more create beautiful accessories: www.etsy.com/shop/DreamOfMustangsMB ;horse;

#2 2018-09-29 18:17:48

AuntieEvil
Website

Re: I feel like I am in (quiet) panic mode

:sorry:
Sometimes there is little we can do in certain situations.
Hopefully your husband gets home soon to help you. Good luck...

∞♥
∞☮
∞✈

#3 2018-09-29 18:40:08

susanr

So very sorry to hear this :crying:  There is not much you can do without injuring yourself for now.  Praying your husband get within phone range or comes home soon.

Friend to 1 house cat, 2 long-haired mini dachshunds, several outside cats, one guard dog, a few Dorking chickens, several  Isa Brown laying hens, some mutt chickens and 3 mules.  Jobs include gardener and assistant bee keeper.

#4 2018-09-29 20:50:07

killerbunny
I Love A.C.E.

Fingers crossed for the cat! Hope Hubby gets home soon.

Mixed collection of chickens, trio of Blue Columbian Wyandottes,BSW turkeys.
RIP Stephen, my BSW Tom and coffee companion. He left a great genetic legacy.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.

#5 2018-10-02 14:17:32

niglefritz

Thank you.

We found our cat deep under our crawl space. He just needed to get away to die. At least there, he was easier to retrieve than in the ceiling area. My husband said that the cat might not have been choking, but probably had some other health issue that possibly was related to something else he went through years ago. It took me some time, and as much as I am sad, I do realize no animal lasts forever. It is just shocking to find them that way especially when you expect that they will have a longer life.

He was ginger (not orange) & white and had beautiful jewel like eyes. One was blue, the other green. He had a jaw that could fit around my husband's wrist, yet he was very gentle. Kind of a one of a kind animal.

We have another tiny fluffy cat of another type downstairs that we thought would die 5 years ago (she was very old then already). We got her at the same time. She is sometimes a bit crazy. She seems okay one moment, then goes berserk, then is calm again. She is tiny, but used to beat on the big manx cat when she went off. They were best buddies until that started. We got another smaller manx to keep the big one company to prepare for when she died so he didn't have to be alone. Well, the fuzzy old one loved the new addition. The big one put up with her. We will see how things work now with the other gone.

FOCUS: blue JG, copper marans
WTB: sp. sussex; true ameraucana pair; Cayuga or West Indies ducks
My Daughter's Shop: feathers & more create beautiful accessories: www.etsy.com/shop/DreamOfMustangsMB ;horse;

#6 2018-10-02 16:13:40

killerbunny
I Love A.C.E.

:sorry:
Yes it seems when the end comes they try to hide.

Mixed collection of chickens, trio of Blue Columbian Wyandottes,BSW turkeys.
RIP Stephen, my BSW Tom and coffee companion. He left a great genetic legacy.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.

#7 2018-10-02 18:50:38

uno
I Love A.C.E.
Website

It is cold comfort, but he died in familiar surroundings with the sound and smell of his people not far away. It is a nasty and upsetting job to retrieve a body from a difficult spot, but I think finding them cold and wet outdoors is even more upsetting. He felt secure. Poor old guy. I am sorry for this loss - they hit hard, don't they? Hugs.

#8 2018-10-02 22:24:12

susanr

Heart hurting for you.  Was in a similar situation just a few months ago.  It is very hard when they leave us behind although, as uno said, he was in familiar surroundings with those he loved.  Sending hugs & deep condolences.

Friend to 1 house cat, 2 long-haired mini dachshunds, several outside cats, one guard dog, a few Dorking chickens, several  Isa Brown laying hens, some mutt chickens and 3 mules.  Jobs include gardener and assistant bee keeper.

#9 2018-10-03 10:30:40

Martin Grove Farm
Administrator

Oh dear, this is sad indeed.  So very sorry for your loss.  A pet holds a piece of our heart and that piece feels so empty and broken when they pass.  I really think your cat knew that it was his time and he wanted to pass in his home and in private.  He was well loved and he was surrounded by the warmth of that love when he passed.    Big hugs to you and your family

"I never learned from a man who agreed with me".~~Robert A. Heinlein.
“Whatever you do in life, surround yourself with smart people who'll argue with you.” - John Wooden
May every word that we speak, and every word that we type, be words that lift up and never words that tear down

#10 2018-10-03 15:49:54

Schipperkesue
Administrator

Losing an animal is always so sad.  It is never easy.  I am sorry.

Embrace your mistakes....they are life's most meaningful education.

• Index
  •  » Pets
  •  » I feel like I am in (quiet) panic mode

Board footer