AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.
  • Index
  •  » Hospital
  •  » Administer fluids- do you use the sipping reflex?

#1 2010-02-21 14:54:03

LynneP
I Love A.C.E.
Website

Administer fluids- do you use the sipping reflex?

The sipping reflex:

Even though a chick or an adult may not drink when dehydrated or cold/ill, there is a way to stimulate them to drink.  It's called the sipping reflex, and it means that if a drop of fluid lands on the beak, they will automatically sip at it.  This is very useful for offering electrolytes/liquid meds by dropper or oil for impactions.  You must avoid the nares (nose holes) though to prevent aspiration, and be sure to stay there with the bird long enough to administer several mls.  It's useful to have a needle-less syringe marked, like baby syringes or vet syringes.  5 ml of most liquids would be a minimum, and remember that when using this method some will be wasted, so have a rag or towel on your lap if that is how you are positioned with the bird. In an emergency though,you could use a plastic straw or eyedropper, sometimes you need to spring into action.  The drops should normally land on the curve of the beak.  If the bird is restless, try dimming the lights.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b132/LynneP/Flock/thGoldainJuly2009.jpg

Regard it as just as desirable to build a chicken house as to build a cathedral. ~Frank Lloyd Wright

#2 2010-02-21 16:29:23

Skeffling Lavender Farm
I Love A.C.E.
Website

Re: Administer fluids- do you use the sipping reflex?

I've noticed that they'll sip that way.  In the very beginning when I got chicks from Mcmurrays the weaklings needed mushy feeding, I'd put pressure on the side of the beak then hold the top beak and just squirt the mush in.  In the last year I have noticed if just giving water a drop along the side or even on top will get them swallowing then you can either squirt it in or drop it along the beak, depending on time and urgency.  The risk when squirting is getting it in the airway, but when a chick is at deaths door it's one I'm willing to take.

I think I may have to cull a non-thriving chick that exhibited that reflex when the drop of water was hanging over a cm away.  I think it has a depth perception problem and thinks it''s beak is in the right place when it is 1-2 cm away, so it's making no more effort to get close to the water.  It has been cheeping all the time, hasn't grown in a week like the others, and I even got it out on a table and dropped a pool of water and it tipped over and did the sipping but was nowhere near the water.  I have bobbed it's beak in it's trough a few times and maybe it will compensate and know in a certain position it should sip.

Also I gave my sitting hen some medicated water this week for her lice that way and she's fine with it.  just sits there, but it's drop my drop.  It's funny the little roo in with her lights up when he sees the dropper as he thinks its a treat to have the water dribbled out like that!  He tips his head on a side and gobbles it up when I let him have some!  Greedy thriving chicks will go for it like that too!

Last edited by Skeffling Lavender Farm (2010-02-21 16:32:26)

www.skefflinglavenderfarm.weebly.com  2012 Breeding quite friendly Lavender & Wheaten Ameraucanas, Lavender Orpingtons, Euskal Oiloas (Basque hens), Partridge Chanteclers, Black Pendesencas & Sumatras

Easy Chickenry and Homesteading articles

#3 2010-02-21 18:17:41

CynthiaM
I Love A.C.E.

LynneP, thank you for that explanation for everyone, that certainly describes what your were speaking about with the sippling reflex and nares (noseholes), good, I learned something valuable today.  Have the best day, CynthiaM.

Two breeding groups of large fowl -- blue, splash and black cochins and buff orpingtons.     Located one half hour north of Vernon.  Also a keeper of the honeybees.

#4 2010-02-21 18:42:10

Arcticsun
I Love A.C.E.

:goodpost:

Arcticsun Frickin Chicken ranch
A rainbow of colour in every egg basket!
Life is too short to to take ones self too seriously
Hug your chicken today

#5 2010-02-21 21:37:38

LynneP
I Love A.C.E.
Website

Claire, it's interesting how you mention the various responses from the chickens- goes to show that visual perception and reflex are part of the equation.  Have you found that chicks and pullet become very attracted to you after a 'treatment'? I find that the hens who have needed this (2) are ultra-attentive to me.  Both fly to my shoulders or will sit on my lap and wait for the dropper.  One of them had spent time in my barn jacket early on and still tries to climb into my pocket.  Goes to show that any time handling a bird results in cooperation later on, if it goes well.  Cynthia, I have found your Hospital help very useful, if all of us combine our successes, we can build an awesome resource.:thumbsup:

Regard it as just as desirable to build a chicken house as to build a cathedral. ~Frank Lloyd Wright

• Index
  •  » Hospital
  •  » Administer fluids- do you use the sipping reflex?

Board footer